Re: [microsound] Reverse Engineering Max/MSP Autechre (reaktor too)

On Jul 12, 2006, at 10:34 AM, Eloy Anzola wrote:
> I have no idea what motivated these particular folks to do build the
> patches. You could visit the site and ask them.
>
> I presume it is a combination of all that you state. They clearly are
> into
> AE, so they are probably happy just to sound like AE.
>
> That said, something I love about sound design is what happens when you
> intruduce small but fundamental changes. These patches can be great
> starting
> points.
>
> Also, trying to figure out how something was done is almost always a
> fantastic exercise. The question: How would I do that? usually leads
> to some
> cool answers.
> 	-- granted, sometimes it can destroy all the magic.
>
> I do agree that if all you want is to sound just like AE, you have
> missed
> the basic point.
>
> cheers,
>
> Eloy

I agree with your post, but in regards to the sound design comment, you
end up using someone else's process.

If you follow the link and read through the discussion involving Sean
Booth you will see that he did hack some ones patch and all he did was
replace the sounds.  In essence using the original person algorithm's
and sound process.  Thats a serious short cut.  I do not know how
familiar you are with Max or Reaktor but to me, the most challenging
part is is the dirty work you have to do in the trenches when you try
to create an enviroment with which to manipulate sound.  When all the
pieces are in place composition can fall into place rather easily, at
least for me.   Many times there is a back and forth that happens
between composing and the creation of the enviroment .  You head in a
lot of different directions because of either random events that
intrigue you, or inspirational ideas that you end up exploring.  IMO
that is a large part of the creative process, very personal stuff.

  I know its a relative opinion and can be debated to death, i just feel
its a step that should not be skipped.  It can be argued that one
should treat a patch or ensemble as an instrument.  Everyone plays the
guitar/drum/piano differently.  Fine i agree with that, its very valid.
  But i think there is also something to be said in regards to creating
your own enviroment almost from scratch and then composing with in that
enviroment.  Imagine a composer creating instruments from scratch and
them composing a musical score with those instruments.  What about the
next guy that comes along and composes within this enviroment (using
the invented instruments)  I do now know how to feel about it.  I know
from a listeners point of view that i would not enjoy one more then the
other, but i definately think that i would appreciate one more then the
other.

I know i would never do what Sean Booth did.  It would feel like
cheating to me, Just my Opinion.

What do you think?

  aLEKs