RE: [microsound] Reverse Engineering Max/MSP Autechre (reaktor too)

What Ive found out with this ae patch (the original) is that ae's sound is
a direct consecuence of Max/MSP. Their cutting FM sound is that of the
Simple FM patch of MSP's tutorial patches, which they have used thorougly
in almost all their records since LP5.

I have made some apps using the Simple FM patch and I wondered why they
sounded so much like Autechre. When I saw this patch made by them I knew.
The interesting thing of their patch is its complex "trees" of random
pattern generation. They are not easy to figure out, but it seems to me
that it was made "on the fly" just by adding some metro and random objects
here and there and seeing what comes out.

It is known that ae record loads of improvised and generated stuff and
then edit it in conventional multitrack editing software. I think many
others (me included) have come to use the same method.

Hernan

www.cooptrol.com