Re: [microsound] myspce comunity

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Miller" <grahammiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [microsound] myspce comunity

you're absolutely right - i haven't really dug beyond the surface of myspace. i got frustrated with the ad riddled homepage trying to find out actually what myspace was and basically dismissed it as friendster for tweens with a crappy MP3 built in.

For the most part you would be correct.
Just like with, say, the cell phone, which I think most of us can agree can also be used for useful purposes. =]

Keep in mind too, that this shouldn't replace one's home page, rather act as an auxiliary to it.

now, when you say 'songs' what does that mean in terms of length/ size? could you do one extended piece instead of four shorts ones, i.e. like a DJ or live set?

I'm not sure what the maximum file size/track length can be. Most of my own stuff is no longer than six minutes.

i still think the formatting looks terrible. something like beatport or bleep seems so much slicker in terms of a music database.

Sure, you're stuck with one set of bones, but you can do a lot with skin.

and all that 'friend crap', animated GIFs and senseless forums? graham has 823 friends and counting... i don't buy into it. it just propagates some kind of superficial adolescent mentality of popularity.

Again, all in how you use it.
My friends page (and similar items) primarily just generates traffic to my MySpace page, resulting in random vectors of infection, more track plays, etc.
I only care how many are there in so much as it fulfils that purpose.
And what is the Microsound list if not a 'senseless forum'. =]

but then again, most of the world actually does operate on some kind of superficial adolescent mentality of popularity.

Sadly common, but not universally true.

~ !J!
http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com