Re: [microsound] audio-to-midi converters

i think there was a discussion about this a while
back. you should check the archive.
you're talking about software, right?

--- Rod Stasick <rod@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, I'm guessing that nobody here has had any
experience with
audio-to-midi converters?

There's two categories in general. Realtime and file processing - you know, audio file in midi file out.

I've yet to run it through it's paces, but the commercial software I hear the most about is Melodyne.
http://www.celemony.com/cms/?id=349
though it's not cheap and MIDI output is more a fringe benefit rather than the focus of this pitch correction and harmony building software. Not realtime.

Something very legacy oriented but free is Opcode Studio Vision, an OS9 MIDI sequencer app that guitar-maker Gibson bought and gave up on, also not realtime.

In general you can say that the results get worse as the material gets more complex. Additionally the ability to deal with polyphonic input is, as far as I know still experimental. For instance if you have some simple flute music or one person singing "aaahhh" solo you would likely get something fairly clean and usable. The problem is most of what's interesting is far more complex and potentially is chock full of not quite right sounding material. From what I understand the problem lies in not only accuracy but what to ignore. The beginnings of sounds often contain unpitched material that can mistrack. On the other hand waiting until it's over leaves you with a lag and likelyhood that the rhythmic timing will wind up sloppy.

nick