Re: [microsound] Serious Artist?

On Sep 14, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Graham Miller wrote:

if weird al serious about what he does? george carlin? i'd say yes. people can be serious about being not serious. (huh?)

Yes, i would consider them both artist's regardless of wether i can apprecaite their work or not. I know that i am treading thin ice here, and it opens a whole other can of worms.

i think the last two paragraphs contradict each other. i agree with the example of your dad, but how is this different than the judgement you are passing on your imaginary architect? how can you know what motivates this man or woman? maybe they have grander aspirations than their work or the circumstances of their lives will allow them?

Then just do it. Aspirations should be realized. I think most of the people on this list, yourself included are great examples of this. Why do you explore the things that you explore on your own time? Why are you curious? What motivates you to get off your ass and do what you do, to hide your self in your studio and explore ideas after a full days work? Same logic behind my example i guess. You choose to use your spare time in a productive manner. I think in many ways this defines and individual.

Maybe i romanticize what an artist is or what it should be. I do know that the creative people i have known, who are passionate, driven, "Serious" about what they do, always move forward and better themselves. A lot of people on this list have been doing what they do for many years because of how they feel about their "art". A label is only as valid as the definition placed upon it, again i guess its a point of reference thing.

Is art dead? Has it always been dead? I see individuals on this list label what is art and what is not art. Your opinion differs from mine? Well too bad your wrong, im right. Is a commercial Designer always a hipster?

arial is the new helvetica.

true true

people tend to forget dual meaning of 'playing' music. at its root is the word 'play.' i always remind myself of that every time i feel like i'm drifting off course. there is no denying that one can be serious about 'playing,' serious about having fun, serious about making people happy. i take that pretty seriously, otherwise what else is there?

This reminds me of Miles Davis for some reason.

aLEKs