Re: [microsound] Serious Artist?

On Sep 13, 2006, at 1:56 PM, David Powers wrote:

I use the term "serious artist", to distinguish people who bust their
asses off doing cool $1t, often for little compensation; as opposed
to the kind of stuff that designers produce, on demand, for whoever is
willing to pay them.

Sometimes the same people, do both kinds of work, but I refuse to take
commercial design seriously as art. Most designers have so bought into
the capitalist model, however, that they seem unable to comprehend
this...

I've had a problem with what to put in that window when making mp3s. You know the one where it says Artist? I've thought about it seriously so I suppose I'm serious though I'm not sure if I'm an artist.

With that outsiders perspective I'd say the difference is that a serious artist is willing is willing to portray them-self in an unfavorable light for a good reason. $1t A dilettante will only choose to make statements which are obviously to that person's advantage , not realizing that it is the depth , the honesty which give a person's work intrinsic value.

-bill