Re: [microsound] as we know it

Fair enough, like i said this discourse deserves more then just rattled off responses between work responsibilities and emails rebuttals...

aLEKs

On Oct 12, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Kim Cascone wrote:

On Oct 10, 2006, at 11:31 AM, someone wrote:

Reread my statement. The """As we know it""" part is pretty important"
:)
sorry, let me explain
I read your statement several times and I could only establish these possible meanings:
1- that we experience fascism firsthand today and 'know it' in the direct manner of observation and involvement - this is debatable in itself
2- we 'know it' through what we are taught in school (second hand knowledge) -- which presents its own set of cultural and political distortions and framing issues
3- 'as we know it' is a gray area invoked during a debate in order to cloak the term (fascism) and have it mean whatever you want it to
4- 'we' can't all 'know it' in the same manner so 'knowing' fascism is a problematic in itself - due to different degrees and forms of fascism - again culturally and politically framed

so I deleted that part of your statement since I found it irrelevant to the point you were trying to make
:)