Re: [microsound] strategic alliance

Well I'm pretty sold on the open source GEM+PD combination on WinXP,
so I personally can't see much advantage to be gained from using
jitter, I think Gem can do anything jitter can do... for free... I
don't actually own Max and jitter, it was a friend who owned it.

Anyway to explain the problem more clearly: my friend who had the
webcam problem, and I attempted to help. Basically, it turns out that
the webcam has to support quicktime. The Cycling 74 site says, "In
general, any video device that works with QuickTime should work with
Jitter. If your device isn't working, there may be a driver problem,
or a hardware problem, or (although we really hope not) a problem with
jit.qt.grab."

If it doesn't, you are supposed to try running this software called
The Win VDIG, but it didn't work when we tried. The website says:
"With WinVDIG QuickTime applications can capture video on Windows
95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP. WinVDIG creates a QuickTime Video Digitizer
(VDIG) for each camera on the computer. This includes USB cameras, PCI
capture boards and DV cameras."

Bottom line, I know Windows sucks, but only doing video via QuickTime
does not make for a good port of the software in my opinion. (Compare
jitter to vvvv which uses DirectX ...)

~David

On 3/28/07, bruce tovsky <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 28, 2007, at 5:28 PM, David Powers wrote:

> On the other hand, if Jitter worked better with Win it could be really
> cool.

hi david
i'm surprised that you've had problems with jitter on windows, my
friend adam kendall does great stuff with his pc laptop, webcams and
jitter live all the time. maybe look him up on the max list and see
what his secret is...
cheers
bruce

bruce tovsky
www.skeletonhome.com

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick