[microsound] Symmetry and Music

Hi People,

I am doing some research for applying symmetry principles to music. I am
using group theory to capture symmetric structures. And I only found change
ringing as a musical stile that explores symmetry systematically. Does
anyone else know other music stiles relying heavily on symmetry (i know..
all of them, but a tip on a good one?) or an other mathematical tool for
exploring symmetric structures? Permutations equals symmetry in someways.
I've done a GPL program (in case someone wants to try it out or help, its
python only) called FIGGS, dedicated to group theory in music and granular
synthesis. It is here:  http://cortex.lems.brown.edu/~renato/sonic-art/nics/

best,
gk