Re: [microsound] Re: tinnitus?

On 10/6/07, greg g <time4cookies@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> take a sine wave(s) and tune it into your tinnitus' frequency, then invert.
> burn to cd, put on repeat.
>
> probably wouldn't work because of changes and modulations in the tinnitus,
> or difficulty in proper pitching of the wave at such high frequencies

Inversion so as to neutralize that component relies on precise phase
adjustment. With a sinewave, inversion has the exact same outcome as a
phase shift of 180 degress, i.e. a time shift of half the wavelength
or double the frequency. You just wouldn't be able to achieve that
level of accuracy while attempting to manually synchronize a cd
player. In fact, assuming the sine is perfectly tuned with the
tinnitus frequency, and that the latter is a single pure tone, you'd
be far more likely to contribute to it than eliminate it--you can
easily see this with any wave editor.

I have tinnitus (it is a hereditary condition) and luckily it doesn't
bother me enough to wake me up, but silences can indeed be roaring, as
someone else mentioned. I read and later confirmed that artificial
sweeteners (as used e.g. in the "Diet" variety of sodas) worsens the
condition. That suggests that there is merit to the hypothesis that
what you eat is an important factor. In my case, concentrating on it
and identifying its origin and so on just makes it more unbearable.

Reminds me of a very old thread on the John Cage/Silence list called
"nervous systems and garage doors". I don't intend to visit an
anechoic chamber ever.

//p
http://www.interdisciplina.org/00.0/