[microsound] Is choral music ambient?

Hi, first post on the list... :)

I asked on the Rhizome forum where I could find some descent discussion
online of avant-garde/experimental and 'other' musics. I hope this post is
suited to the overall vein of the list. If not I would glady accept
recommendations!

-

I'm reading Prendergast's "The Ambient Century".

It's a nice idea for a book, a 'century' of ambient music... But did ambient
music really start with Mahler or Satie?

What about 15th Century Rennaisance choral music like Palestrina, Tallis and
many other similar composers from this period?

There's something about this era that strikes an 'ambient' chord with me. Or
is the music too *intense* to be classified as ambient?

I don't want to confuse *beauty* and ambience, but if I'm wanting to listen
to some ambient music, I'll often go for Tallis...

What are others thoughts on this?

Regards,

Matt Tierney