Re: [microsound] Is choral music ambient?

On Mar 11, 2008, at 4:34 PM, Matt Tierney wrote:

-

I'm reading Prendergast's "The Ambient Century".

It's a nice idea for a book, a 'century' of ambient music... But did ambient
music really start with Mahler or Satie?

What about 15th Century Renaissance choral music like Palestrina, Tallis and
many other similar composers from this period?

There's something about this era that strikes an 'ambient' chord with me. Or
is the music too *intense* to be classified as ambient?

I don't want to confuse *beauty* and ambience, but if I'm wanting to listen
to some ambient music, I'll often go for Tallis...

What are others thoughts on this?

Most of the choral music from the Renaissance was probably designed , composed to get attention. There probably was ambient music yet the scores haven't survived or there was no score to begin with. An exception might be Tenebrae from Carlo Gesualdo. I'm sure there are other works commissioned for meditative or mind wandering backgrounds, I just don't know much about early italian music.

I'm quite sure the ancients made ambient music with water organs , aeolian harps , kitharas.

Without modern recording techniques there were probably alot more people taking music lessons, practicing , recitations and chanting. Religious rituals.

Perhaps it might be helpful to take a different viewpoint from what I imagine to be that of most of the people on this list: make the right music and the government will follow , to a more classical approach: govern the people and they will eventually make pleasing sounds.

-hopefully perspicacious

                                                                  Bill