Re: [microsound] nin

well. the most obvious negative aspect of giving away
one's music, is the fact that you can no longer
finance your own art or life from your enterprising
craft.   if you need to live off your music, you need
to get money for  it.

and i am aware that bands/people play live shows,
whatever.  they also sell their music to thousands and
sometimes millions of adoring fans, thereby enriching
the lives of many people, and those people being happy
to see you live in the type of luxurious comfort that
you deserve.  LOL.

i dont think people were upset about the beatles
becoming so rich and being knights.   but does fallout
boy need millions of dollars.  or kanye west.   i dont
think so.

another negative is the  machine of the music industry
 make people put out crap after so much money gets
invested.  when rick rubin or eno signs on to do your
next album and the record company is investing ten
million into promotion alone, you dont need someone
standing over you to provide the pressure of demanding
that there is a top ten hit, if not several, on your
new album.   so now you are  writing hits, and not
your own songs.   we've seen this happen too often.
why not just give it away right ?

seems like there is a balance somewhere that either
ian mackeye or aphex twin aren't telling us about.
how to sell music  and simultaneously, not give a
shit about people getting it for free.    i  think the
last c.d. i actually paid for was napalm death
re-release of scum.
it actually made sense to buy this to me.  hopefully
it mattered to them.  maybe not.  but that was two
years ago, and i've already had to buy another
external hard drive.

such is life,

b.g.