Re: [microsound] nin

Hallo,
Kim Cascone hat gesagt: // Kim Cascone wrote:

> not meant to be promotional in the least
> but I DL'd the new NIN release yesterday and was very impressed with it
> it is a free download
> available in one of four formats: mp3, flac, m4a, 96/24 wav:
> http://theslip.nin.com/
>
> my respect for Mr Reznor has deepened quite a bit in the past few years
> screwing the music industry one free album at a time! ;)

I'm also very impressed that he's not only screwing the old music
industry, but at the same time attacks the new industry: Apple's
iTunes shop.

He's going much further than Radiohead by choosing a rather free
CC-license. And then you get files in FLAC format(!) with a warning
"will not play in itunes", and then a "better than CD" version in
24/96 is available for no additional cost.  And for distribution he
uses Bittorrent P2P. Very consumer-friendly.

Trent either wants to educate his old audience in the use of today's
tools for music distribution or he tries to reach a new audience
already familiar with the tools, but not with his music, or both.
Probably both.

Anyway, "The Slip" is the first NIN album I've listened to since
"Quake 2", and I like it (though I normally don't listen to much
guitar stuff.)

Ciao