Re: [microsound] mac osx -> linux?

flemming lyst wrote:

anyone done the switch?
(rumours are that audio on linux grow quite fast...)

i've attempted to switch from Windows to Linux multiple times over the last five years (generally after people told me 'how much better Linux is with audio now') and each time have given up. in my experience, Linux+laptop=ok, Linux+audio=ok, Linux+audio+laptop=too hard.

recently i went from Windows to OSX and it was the best thing to do i think - OSX gives you a nice POSIX compliant environment (so a lot of Linux-targeted software can be ported to it fairly easily), without too much in the way of hassles. plus, OSX can go to sleep (not hibernate) and wake up in 2 seconds with 99.9% reliability. last I tried linux on my laptop it couldn't even send it to sleep.

if you want to make the switch to open source software, stick with a Mac, and do it gradually.

start by using Pd instead of Max/MSP (once you get past the visual interface differences, Pd is actually more stable, more consistent, and less prone to do stupid weird things than Max is). use the X11/OSX version of Ardour instead of Logic/Cubase. there isn't really an Ableton equivalent. you'll probably find command-line tools that do (some of) what Soundhack does. learn to use Terminal. learn how to build something from source from the command line. learn what a makefile is.

then, make the switch to Linux, if you still want to.

--
damian stewart | +44 7500 453 766 | damian@xxxxxxxxxx
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz