[microsound] Upcoming activities

Hello - sorry for any cross-postings,

We seem to have loads coming up at the moment so we thought we would send out a little update.

Expo Brighton
The UK’s largest annual free sound art and experimental music weekend

Featuring Stephan Mathieu & Aleks Kolkowski, John Wall, DJ Scotch Egg, Blood Stereo & Ludo Mich plus the best emerging artists back to back with some of the leading figures in UK sonic art playing things you've never heard before (and maybe never will again).

Three days and nights of people enjoying, playing, discovering and listening to sonic art. Experience a wiki-conference, a radiophonic intervention in the Royal Pavillion Gardens, installations and performances, shopping centre public art, club nights and film screenings across the streets, buildings and air waves of Brighton.

www.expofestival.org

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Expo Unconference
A wiki-conference

Expo Unconference is about discussing ideas about and around sonic art. By ‘sonic art’ we mean anything that uses sound with artistic intent.

We're looking for people to participate in Unconference. You can host a discussion, lead a panel discussion, demonstrate some software or give a lightning presentation (Under 7 minutes!) or else just come and listen. It's all free!

Takes place in the real world on 4th July at Brighton University but starts online now.

unconference.expofestival.org

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Oramics
A symposium, concert and gig celebrating the life and work of Daphne Oram.

Friday 27th June 2008
Purcell Rooms, Southbank Centre, London

Daphne Oram was one of the unsung musical heroines of our time. A pioneering British composer and electronic musician she was the driving force behind the creation of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop in the 1950s and she was the first woman to run an independent music studio. Her vision and commitment changed the sound of the world we live in.

This series of events celebrates the launch of the Daphne Oram Collection at Goldsmiths College, London University. For the past 12 months an Arts and Humanities Research Council grant has supported the digitisation of almost 700 reel to reel tapes of music.

This symposium considers her place in the history of electronic music, as well as exploring in academic depth, ideas and tools for graphic sound synthesis through the drawn sound system she invented and called Oramics.

The concert features unheard music by Daphne Oram as well as performances from special guest artists including Andrea Parker.

Concert: http://tinyurl.com/4gnr8q
Symposium: http://tinyurl.com/48akux

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Sonic Arts Network Podcast
Second episode of the best podcast series ever...

Sonic Arts Network presents a six part podcast series that explore the outer edges of sound and music, from artists working within the fields of sound art, noise, electronic music, modern composition, field recordings, drone music and anything else that straddles the term sonic art. We will also present work that connects to the live, education and publishing work of the organisation.

http://podcast.sonicartsnetwork.org

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Smiling Through My Teeth Launch Party
Funny music...new CD...free drinks

Saturday 17 May, 7pm-11pm
alt.gallery, Newcastle

The fantastic alt.gallery in Newcastle will host a retrospective of the work of People Like Us (Vicki Bennett) from 15 May - 12 July.

The exhibition also launches the next CD in the SAN CD series, 'Smiling Through My Teeth', that explores humour in sound and music and is curated by Vicki Bennett. Come along to see the exhibition and hear tracks from the publication.

http://www.altgallery.org/

www.sonicartsnetwork.org

Sonic Arts Network
The Jerwood Space . 171 Union Street . London . SE1 0LN . UK
+44 (0)20 7928 7337