Re: [microsound] Graphic Scores

John Cage's "Notations" is an indispensable resource for collected graphic scores.

Morton Feldman's block notations are beautiful examples.

Of course Cage himself was a pioneer in this area. Almost everything he wrote after the 1950's involved graphic scores of some sort, he completely eschewed traditional notation at one point in his career.

A lot of David Tudor's scores were also non-traditional in this way.

Pauline Oliveros has also created some graphic scores having to do with mandalas that are quite beautiful to perform.

I'm also reminded of the scores by Philip Larson that call for extended uses of the voice (not exactly "synthesis" but interesting nonetheless).

jason wrote:
I'm currently carrying out research into graphic scores and synthesis. I was wondering if list members could highlight, in their opinion some of the most notable + interesting examples of this. I'm thinking along the lines of Earl Brown’s abstract score for December 1952 and Stockhausen’s score for Kontakte?
interested to hear your responses.

thanks,

Jess