Re: [microsound] monocultures and broadcasting

It's interesting to me that in the age of Clear Channel Monoculture, the birthplace of radio (the American Heartland) is where you can actually still find the most diverse and interesting programming.

It's so awesome to know Philip is still doing Something Else in Chicago and WNUR is still broadcasting experimental music.

I can easily count on one hand the TOTAL number of stations that play a SINGLE show of anything barely approaching contemporary experimental and avant-garde work in the LA area. And that's a big friggin area.

Gregory Taylor wrote:
If your sole interest is in minor variations of a well-defined genre, then
I'm not sure you'd be able to stand what I'm up to. For waaay longer than
I'm comfortable imagining, I've been doing a weekly radio program of
a reasonably wide variety of things which include some number of what
one might consider the stuff people discuss here. It's not fenced off, and
is interleaved with a lot of other work. The actual webcast time is on
Sunday evenings 9-11 PM U.S. Central Standard Time, and the show
is logged for two weeks after that. We're a rather small listener-sponsored
station of sufficient health that we can continue to do what interests us.
In fact, my program begins a strip of programming that does experimental
work from 9PM on Sundays until dawn on Monday morning - we all think
we're the luckiest radio programmers in the world.

gregory taylor
host, RTQE
WORT-FM 89.9 Madison, WI
http://www.rtqe.net