Re: [microsound] interesting quote

> >- The aesthetic and ideological debate on electroccoustic music is
> >extremely diminished and
> >insufficient today. Because of this, conferences dedicated to techniques
> >and technological
> >developments, as important as they are, fill the communication space and
> >obscure the work of
> >reflection on composition, on music, led by individual composers.
> - Christian Clozier/Institute of Bourges
> this can be modified to read:
> *new music festivals*, as important as they are, fill the communication
> space and obscure the work of reflection on composition, on music, led by
> individual composers.

i don't know if the "conferences dedicated to techniques and
technological developments" & the "new music festivals" are so similar
that we can interchange them in this quote.  for one, the latter is
actually about music as a presentable object; the former talks about the
tools & refuses to discuss music in subjective terms (aesthetics &
ideology).  on the other hand, festivals & shows are just _about_
displaying aesthetics & ideology; they are not, however, about
_discussing_ them.  but can we really seriously discuss aesthetics?
ideology perhaps; but that's philosophy, & it doesn't have to be
connected to music or art.

but perhaps the quote is not all that relevant to begin with.  the
"aesthetic and ideological debate" is perhaps avoided because it's a
metaphysical one, & unless this distinction is made & acknowledged upon
("we know this is a dead end, but let's talk for the sake of talking"),
such debates are bound to turn into sterile rants which can always be
countered.  then again, "techniques & technological developments" may be
discussed properly (as they take the form of objective fact) but the
point of music _is_, after all, aesthetics & ideology.

thus: is either option any valid?  can we fruitfully discuss music for
what it is?  well, we can certainly view its manifestations (i.e.
outside pure technicality) through different lenses: linguistics,
semiology, sociology, psychology...  all these would bring in a
scientific, properly debatable viewpoint which would actually say
something about music, either through its language or the participants
of its exchange (composers, listeners, etc).

this leads me to a question: does anyone know of any study along those
lines?  i'm particularly interested in the question of music linguistics
&/or semiology.  please feel free to point to any resources dealing with
the question.

~ david