silence

yeah, the ghost've john cage'll be getting pretty testy about this whole silence thread for sure, just hoping it turns out right, mumbling undead about anechoic chambers and the like. my 2cents along these lines is that eventually i'm sure we or our kid'sll be able to be altered so that our hearing can be temporarily suspended... making performances of that song by old mr. c much more interesting/realistic... would be funny to see the hipsters watching that show, all of them standing completely still in anxious anticipation... of NOTHING...

"ahh," sez my indie-bitter friend standing next to me, though i can only read his lips... "they'll never quite be able to stand PERFECTLY still... it's ALL RELATIVE" and even though we're just reading lips the sarcasm in those last two words will actually perforce *knock out* the guy next to us, the respiritualized whiteboy who's taken this silent opportunity to spasmodically dance as if possessed... the one i last saw left front by the stage at the (great?) "high on fire" show at maritime hall 2 weeks back... when the guy wakes up he'll have song 1 off of camilo sesto's greatest hits in his head for 2 weeks straight.

maybe they could make a silence pill for avante druggies... reverse hearing aids for the retros... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i wish i could play "stoner rock," girls actually go to those shows... :)

-ben

could very well be wrong about this.. but a digital "silent waveform" is simply a soundfile with nothing there... 00000000. and, would seem to reason that YES.. it is true silence.. not counting of course the hiss or hum coming out of your amplification system upon playback or whatever..

i'm sure there are silence purists out there who will find fault in what i'm saying.. but that's the way i perceive it anyway... but i'm not an expert..