Re: [microsound] nuno cannavaro

At 12:26 PM 12/1/00 -0800, christian jay sienkiewicz wrote:
So my question is this: With so many modern artists
taking nods from the Plux Quba, why is every record in
this genre sooooooo very devode of nature?

Well the fetishization of the machine is quite in fashion at the moment, and some artists and labels have fallen into step, yet I think not all have done so. Neina, Gas, Monolake, and Bernhard Guenter, for example, all take what I find to be very warm and organic approachs to their digital tools. There are also the accidents of time: the wonderful "Plux Quba" (so nice to read a mention of it here) was released at a time when the record shop had not so many dozens of sections into which to force its oddities, whereas now music is all too often target-marketed toward a narrowly segmented audience. So at the moment perhaps we have an interesting point in time in which the tools of experimental music toil have reached the hands of Donny Desktop and Mary Mouseclick, among whom (and I say this as someone who has recorded music for years and has only just acquired a computer capable of audio processing) maybe the Thrilling Flush of the New is guiding some music toyplay. Remember the dreaded "orchestra hit" from the early days of cheap samplers? When the face is not so flushed, perhaps the new toys will more soberly join the rest of the musical arsenal, and I suspect then the machine fetish will give way. Of course the idea of Garth Brooks using Reaktor in the not too distant future does not exactly make me want run to the record shop, but it might be interesting to see how he works his mouse on stage. Meanwhile, there are some fine works of digital fetishism as well as of digital alienation to be had in our little moment...

np - Ekkehard Ehlers (Fallt invalid object MP3 EP)

joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boxman studies label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/