Re: [microsound] microsound future

> "under the pressure of popular approval, the modern furniture
> movement faced its most difficult challenge: maturing gracefully.
> whereas before the enemy was the unbeliever, now it is the
> suuperficial devotee - designer, manufacturer, or consumer - who, by
> unquestioning acceptance of a few shibboleths, makes possible a great
> wave of mediocrity in the name of design."
> is this something, we as artists, need to think about now? or have we
> passed that point...? or not come to it yet..?

basically what this quote is saying is that certain mediocre designers
will use the whole textbook ("binding intact" dixit keith whitman) as a
guideline for instant success, once a popular fad is well established.

can you say "minimal techno"?

that reminds me of the other day, watching tv with my roommate, & he was
innocently making a tuff drum n bass-like beat with his mouth while not
paying attention to tv.  i tell him to keep quiet for a second so he
could hear what _was_ on tv: of course, a tv ad with a drum n bass
song.  the irony was disturbing.  welcome to reality, eh?

but i disgress...

funny you would make "design" your point of comparison with microsound
(as opposed to "art").  i don't think the more experimental (singular,
personal, in short: artistic) outings of microsound music have reached
that "acceptance" point yet, or should worry all that much.
experimentation per se is something rarely acceptable from a commercial
point of view.  i think you should begin to be suspicious of your music
only once you know the recipe to it.

(please excuse the slightly inaccurate art/design dichotomy used here,
it's only there to er illustrate the point.)

~ david