Re: [microsound] completely OT yet so on-topic

Wow, I thought this wasn't going to happen, but I left checked my mail after
a couple of days and find tons of emails about political issues.  Craziness.

I haven't had time to read all 150+ messages so forgive any repitition.  I
think a lot of confusion happens when people misinterpret what capitalism
really is.  It is a system that can accomplish great things, a booming
economy being one of them.  The main driving force in capitialism is
obviously the compitition between companies and people.  Now, take into
consideration that the FTAA will open the door for the formation of large
monopolies by the big boys from the USA, and in a case or 2, Canada and
Brazil.  With a monopoly there is no compitition, meaning the driving force
of development in capitalism will dissapear.  Seems to me that something
like this could spell the death of capitalism in the worst case scenario.
As far as whether or not police are at fault, I definately see cases where
they abuse their power.  I kid you not when I say that an 80 year old woman
on crutches was tear gassed in Quebec.  They also shot tear gas at ambulance
crews, hitting a few medics.  There where the police shot a member of the
Canadian Parliament with a tear gass canister as well as shooting one
civilian, several blocks away from the fence, in the head with another
canister, causing him to lose his hearing and site on one side of his head.
The problem with this is in the fact that for 6 months the police were being
trained to assume every protester was an anarchist Black Bloc member.  They
showed no mercy or discrimination.  The police and military also used the
protest to test out a new kind of tear gas, using the protesters as gueinni
pigs.  I can't say I respect my own counrty's police force after the
weekend.  I don't believe in violent or rude protests, mainly because you'll
never convince a person to be on your side by immediately screaming
fascist!  I do think, however, that if the protesters are assaulted purely
for trying to exercise their democratic rights, then they have the right to
defend themselves physically or verbally.  That said, the most effective way
to protest in the end is peacefully, but persistantly.  By not backing down
from the fence in this case, but also, not throwing concrete at police.  I'm
going to end now because it sounds like most of you have had enough of this
thread.  I hope this hasn't been too tiring.

Jake

PS:  about 90 % of police injuries were caused by their own tear gas that
was shot into the wind, or in some cases thrown back.