AE patches and cute squirrels

To add or put a slant on kim's post (and some others)

I think its an issue that the tools *mediate* the music. This is much more the case with certain software apps that tend to define/encourage certain pathways through processing and certain permissable parameter interactions and values. Quite a few software apps require some serious wrangling to produce 'uncharacteristic' sounds (even when you abuse them - eg feedback /self oscillation in grm - you are still feeding back a *grm algorithm*). It is certainly something which is always in my mind when working in these environments.. especially as i (like many others i suppose) consider my sounds to be characteristic of/idiosyncaratic to my practice. The logical outcome for many people wrestling with these issues is to write their own code (or externals as was suggested). Several people i know have recently begun to do this after a long time 'wrangling' other people's apps.. This is a big gig for a musician who has never coded before. Of course theoretically environments like MSP offer huge flexibilty, although as was stated, many stick to modified presets (demo patches or patches by other users) as they baulk at the huge work involved in building sophisticated and musical patches from the ground up. It is worth noting however, that a filter design has 'a sound' - digital filters and analog filters alike.. You tend to need a selection (or you can write your own god forbid)

As regards the 'flatness' issue, i think this is more a by product of contemporary real time processes - people are more inclined to feed multiple signals out of patches and record real time stereo outputs than to track up things in isolation and 'mix' them in a traditional sense.. The foreground/background spatial depth thing is more of a mix process presupposing isolation between sounds... Good high quality ambiences and reverbs are dsp expensive, so the tendency is to not cook the CPU with this stuff when you need it for 'slicing and dicing'. After so much lush, detailed, spatial music, i find flatness/bluntness refreshing at times..

anyway, just some random thoughts

-- ************************** J u l i a n K n o w l e s Lecturer/Co-ordinator Music Technology Course Co-ordinator Electronic Arts School of Contemporary Arts (Music), University of Western Sydney Social Interiors web: http://www.geocities.com/socialinterior