Any good releases lately?

Dear All,

Just back from my holidays - thanks for the nice comments re. the
invalidObject Series which have been dropping with a gentle thud into our
in-boxes...

Re.: the any good releases lately thread.

Stephan Mathieu | frequencyLib [Ritornell]

How I wish Stephan and I had settled our - ahem - 'artistic differences'
over this one... suffice to say, I felt a gentle pang of [insert noun of
your choice here] to lose it to Ritornell after everyone had sunk in so much
work on it. It is quite simply one of the best releases I've heard in a
long, long time and, as we didn't release it, I feel I can say that without
the slightest hint of bias. =]

Warm buzzing cascades (of a kind that Mr Mathieu seems to have made all his
own) envelop a suite of the most beautifully rendered classics.

We might be barely half way through the year, but, for me, this is sure to
be on one of those - too-restrictive - best-of 2001 lists. It and Akira's
excellent 'Eisoptrophobia' more than make up for the disappearance of the
subtly-elegant design that characterised Ritornell's 'original' releases.

::

Taylor Deupree | Occur [12k]

Without wishing to sound like a 'mutual appreciation society' (thanks for
the kind comments re. the invalidObject Series Taylor...), I've been
enjoying 'Occur' greatly. It's the perfect follow-up and progression from
last year's excellent collaboration with Tetsu Inoue 'Active Freeze'.

::

Various Artists | Format 5 [Tourette]

Longform clicks and t t ttti  ccks. Mastered by Stefan Betke, all are edits
of longer installation works, but none suffer from the process of
distillation that one might expect.

Featuring, among others, Fennesz, Olaf Bender, Frank Bretschneider and
Carsten Nicolai the tonal and melodic palette varies as one might expect and
a surprising variety of sounds are teased into existence. For me, Signal (a
collaboration between Bender, Bretschneider and Nicolai) create the most
compelling work with 'Signal.Defects', eight minutes of utterly compelling,
fragmented static-melody underpinned by the mesmerising sound of gradual
information collapse.

::

Other brief mentions...

Pure | Low [Staalplaat Material Series]

Heimar Bjorgulfsson | Machin Natura (An interpretation inconsistent with the
actuity of a situation). [Staalplaat Material Series]

::

Take care,

Christopher

http://www.fallt.com  |  info@xxxxxxxxx