Re: [microsound] Re: musique cement

"another comment to finish: a good saxophone player
will feel that they
can "play freely" & express everything they want
through their
instrument.  but the truth is, they can't make a
C64-like "BLEEP!!!"
sound even if they wanted to.  yet, the musician will
insist that they
feel "free" to play what they want.  they will not
have the feeling
that
they are, in fact, repeating figures, sentences,
tricks that they have
practiced, prepared, thought of hundreds of times
before.  freedom is,
as ever, a very relative thing."

I think the saxophonist might be able to make
something C64ish bleep-like perhaps through some sort
of new technique or by 'preparing' their instrument in
some way, perhaps even through electronics.  If the
saxophonist used electronics I think you might get
into questions about what constitutes the limits of an
instrument, or you might have to consider how the
system 'saxophone + electronics system' produces the
bleep sound.......I agree with you that freedom is a
relative thing.

I think that the computer physically limits the
relationship that the player of the music has to the
sound outputed relative to a 'real' instrument.  I'm
not taking sides on this issue.  I think that each
practice has advantages and disadvantages and that
what you get out of either practice partially depends
upon the type of person you are, and/or your
expectations of the medium.

r.