Re: [microsound] On the benefits/disadvantages of CDR as a medium for distributing music...

I only think releases on CDR should be sold at a lower price if the
production cost is lower. If someone tries to sell an unmastered release
with no cover I really think it should go way cheaper than one where some
effort (not necessarily meaning money) has been put into packaging and/or
mastering (and whatever else which has been done to make the release
special). So if one can't set a low price tag, don't, I'd buy it anyway.

Onto a slightly different thing:
I also run my own label and so far I've only released one seven inch vinyl
EP. I've noticed that there is no way possible to even end up with zero
costs without putting a very high price tag on the EP. I did give the
artists just about half of the pressed copies, so I can't really expect to
make a profit and I'd hate to be over priced and the goal is not to earn
money anyway. I just wonder how seven inch vinyl usually is priced when it
is being sold to distributors and mail orders. As soon as I will do that, I
will loose money, but I just want to know a reasonable price so I know if
I'm not being scammed or not. I bet there are a bunch of people here with
knowledge and experience about this.

>So, I'd be interested in hearing what the list thinks. Is CDR publishing a
>waste of time? Do some labels invest as heavily in the design and content of
>their CDR releases as their 'real' releases, thereby making the CDRs equally
>desirable (Alku, definitely). Would you buy music on CDR? If so, should it
>be priced at a lower price point? If so, what do you think is a fair price
>to pay for an album on CDR?

+ martin friberg
+ martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+ web zine: www.twisterella.com