Re: [microsound] CD vs. CDRs

> of a bad-sounding release but in general there is no excuse to make it
> unnecessarily hard to appreciate the music.

Not to champion an anti-production value reactionary DIY aesthetic, or to
suggest that amazing work cannot be done on a budget ~ but I do find
myself regretting again the economic realities that come between many
talented people and the realization of their vision.

I lament when I'm turned off from talent by poor or naive production. But
I'm glad people are out there doing their thing and finding their way.

There was another debate about college admissions on NPR's Talk of the
Nation yesterday, and one recurring topic was the myth of meritocracy:
which was universally admitted to be a myth (if a useful one).

High production mastering and distribution (and hence the ubiquity that
becomes 'fame' and makes you 'influential') by established labels seems
something of the same game:  yes, there are unknown talents being signed
and carefully mastered etc.;  but there are also people 'winning' who have
the right connections (yes, often hard won through years of dues paying)
or the right pedigree.  No need to provide fill-in-the-blanks footnotes
about the self-fulfilling consequences of being recognized... (and not to
get hyperbolic, winning at Ars Electronica is not exactly going to put you
in your very own '8 mile' anytime soon...).

I think it's important to recognize the mercurial quirks of fate that
leave artists of cough 'equal merit' in very different circumstances.  We
all want slip-cover custom designed full color impeccably mastered widely
distributed releases.  Some of us get them.  Some of us deserve them.
Some of us don't.  Some of us can afford to found a label and DIY.  Some
of us can't.  I think it's a mistake to 'blame the victim' (ironic quotes,
folks) who releases on MP3 and CDr.

Such as, of course, myself... ;)

 aaron

  ghede@xxxxxxxx