Re: [microsound] "Academic" computer music?

At 1:21 PM +0100 3/7/03, Massimiliano Viel wrote:
I would call 'academic composer' a composer who is recognized in a tradition.

At 10:25 PM -0800 3/6/03, Bill Jarboe wrote:

>  The reason I mentioned those people is that they 'teach' techniques ,
>viewpoints , aesthetics  that have had an effect on my perception of what
>computer music is. I'm not thinking of academic as someone holding tenure or
>having a phD.

These are certainly reasonable interpretations of the word "academic"
but it's a third, rather pejorative usage that I was reacting to. As
one who passed through the hallowed halls and then chose to remain
outside them, I've usually used that word (and I spell it "akademic")
to refer to something didactic, doctrinaire, ossified rather than as
a neutral reference to music history and education.

I've also worked with and socialized with some of these people.
Pauline and Mort are decidedly anomalous within the university scene
as a whole, though they tend to teach within institutions that run a
bit contrary to the akademic.

Xenakis, who was a marvelous teacher, did so as a sort of renegade.
His time at Indiana was a particularly good example of how he was
viewed (and shamefully treated) by the musical establishment.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com