[microsound] (OT)" R E S O N A T I N G S T R I N G S "

" R E S O N A T I N G   S T R I N G S "
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/html/reson.html

At the occasion of the international Forum MUSICA SCIENZA 2003
http://www.crm-music.org/musica%20e%20scienza.html
(Music-Science) to be held in Rome at Goethe-Institut  - Via Savoia,
15  on next 21st  - 25th  of June 2003, the Schreck Ensemble is invited
for a concert in which to perform its program "Resonating Strings"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/html/reson.html and do a master called:
"Timbral Intergration: Instruments and Live-Electronics".
This same program will be repeated in Sassari, Sardegna
Teatro e/o Musica, Piazza Tola, 41 on June 24/25:
http://utenti.lycos.it/teatro_musica/

The Schreck - Ensemble has sought collaboration with the
renowned koto player Makiko Goto. In order to give this
collaboration a deeper meaning, we decided to place opposite
to this tradional Japanese string instrument, our own
tradional string instrument: the violin.  What makes these
instruments so special? What resonates alongside these
movements of the strings?

Program June 22nd 9.00 p.m. Goethe Institut Auditorium:
- Jean-Claude Risset  -'Variantes' for violin & live-electronics;
- Makoto Shinohara	-'To Rain and Wind' for koto, percussion &
live-electronics;
- Makoto Shinohara	-'Turns' for koto and violin;
- Hans van Eck	-'Poemi Eterni' for violin & live-electronics;
Performers:   Makiko Goto -koto and percussion, Tiziana Pintus -violin,
Hans van Eck -sound diffusion, Pieter Suurmond -computer applications.

Master June 21st 5.30 p.m. masterclass Goethe Institut Conference Hall:
"Timbral Intergration: Instruments and Live-Electronics" ;
-artistic leader Hans van Eck will tell about the aesthetical
 ideas of the Schreck-Ensemble;
-musical leader Tiziana Pintus
 will give a referate on the use of instruments to control
 live-electronics;
-computer-programmer Pieter Suurmond will talk about
 problems with the recognition of instrumental (acoustic)
 sounds and of our way how to solve this in his software
 'ComParser'.

For the performance of the live-electronics extensive use is
being made of SuperCollider for signal processing and
synthesis purposes, ComParser for sound-recognition and
score-following and Max is doing the quadraphonic spatialization
on a Yamaha digital mixer.

The Schreck - Ensemble is an ensemble for electro-acoustic
music; music which takes instruments as well as
'live'-electronics, computers or tapes for performing. To
give you an idea, we perform music of composers as Luigi
Nono, Kaija Saariaho and Jean-Claude Risset next to own
compositions and works from lesser known composers.

Besides specifically projectbound research, the ensemble is
also busy developing new instruments, of which the Stratifier
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/html/hard.html
can be regarded as a succesfull example.
Also a new analysis application ComParser
http://www.hku.nl/~pieter/SOFT/CMP/
for sound-recognition and score-following is written to control
the program SuperCollider. This will allow the musicians to
have a far directer control over the electronics then
previously before possible, leading towards a new way of
performing music.

  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

  `    |Schreck Ensemble    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . +

    `  |# -laboratory for live electro-acoustic music- #            |
       |             http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/                 |
     ` |Compositions http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/html/compo.html  |
     ` |Samples      http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/html/samp.html   |
     ` |Patches      http://www.xs4all.nl/~schreck/html/pat.html    |