Re: [microsound] Re: on working methods for live performance

> The people of the 21st century must finally understand that we must get
> rid of all these old ideas of hard working men and all that bullshit. It
> is time to make our machines work for us so we have time to think and
> invent.

But thinking (especially thinking new ideas) is hard work too. You can't
measure the effort in sweat or in hours.

You don't arrive someplace really interesting by chance. Anyone who is
conceptually in an interesting place worked hard to put themselves there,
even if the effort is not visible.

(Or, in the rare case that someone is naturally in a unique place, they
still pay constantly for the right to remain there.)

> It
> is time to make our machines work for us so we have time to think and
> invent.

Yes the possibilities are very exciting, but the last few years seem to have
proved "there's no free lunch".  Blindly optimistic fascination with
technology and over-estimation of its impact on culture is a bit 1999...a
little bit dot-com, Wired-magazine,
they-fixed-the-stock-market-so-it-only-goes-up.

In 2004, it's bit more realistic to continue to love the machine, but
without expecting utopia to be one download or one embedded chip away.