Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC (linux information)[pd readymades]

Tjeerd Sietsma wrote:

Oops.. with developers I meant people developing patches with PureData.
PureData itself is already in beta stage, if not a finished product.
It's the 'recommended' Windows installer that installs all those
sometimes pre-alpha libraries that can make your system instable.
Compared to Max/MSP you do spend more time patching your patches,
because Max/MSP contains many prefabricated objects.

BTW, what do you mean by incomplete functionnality in PD?

Lack of prefabricated objects that allow faster development. Naturally you can make them yourself with PureData and/or C++, but that'll take longer.

People like Frank Barknecht and myself [from time to time] are busy building end-user "applications" in PD as educatinal tools, but I really prefer building things from low-level objects rather than cobbling together all the ready-made "blackboxes" in Max/MSP. It was a reason I disliked Reaktor so much: when I wanted to use a granulator, they had one or two "granulator objects" which you could send parameters to, but no way of getting inside the object to chnage its basic function. So I build my own in PD, and know exactly how they work and what I can change on the most basic levels. This way, I feel that the sound I make is my own creation, and not that I'm just twiddling someone else's buttons.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 36: