Re: [microsound] Mac vs PC (linux information)

Tjeerd Sietsma wrote:

Too bad there is no professional audio tool for linux yet, afaik.

What is a professional audio tool? Are you talking about sound quality? Or eye candy? Or the aboundance of ready made solutions?

what I meant was that basic functions are well supported, but many advanced functions are absent in programs. e.g. I don't know any linux-tool with which you can morph spectra. This of course could also very well mean that I'm not that good in browsing the internet.

- Csound

does this for me since ages on virtually all platforms

- Pure-Data

- SMS
There was once this package but it seems to be morphed into a library called Clam, got to dig it myself.

The lack of instrument editors are obvious but on the other hand and according to the sales of the instrumentmanufacturer I like to ask, if they still needed. People starting now from the ground prefer using software and should get themself decent controling hardware.

The only point I dislike frankly in Linux is the lack of many drivers but as said before its not the Linux comunity to be blamed, its the manifacturers with their close-source-no-documentation-paranoia mentality.

Just to add some aspects and thoughts,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next event/ lecture:
pure-data workshop 24.-25. july BEK, Bergen, Norway
new releases:
elektronengehirn
softwareart on cdr magazine tinah#2: http://www.thisisnotahomepage.com