Re: [microsound] Gentoo for MacOS

On 20 Jul 2004, at 22:22, Niklas Werner wrote:

Hi Alex,

sorry, I had to reply... (let's not make this a flame, eh?)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:04, Alex Young wrote:

Practically all Linux distributions let you do this, and I think what
you're
Definitely not! Install a redhat or suse and you end up with tons of
packages you never wanted and e.g. a xmms that supports gnome and kde,
although you use neither...

You still select what packages you want during install, you can still remove them with user friendly package managers.

<technical rant>
don't tell me you still run an i386 or i486, but debian's debs still are
compiled with those in mind, IIRC, and I have never seen ppc-debs that
are altivec-enabled... not that gcc is very good at vectorising, but it's
a start, and let's wait for gcc-3.5
</technical rant>

Yes, I use Debian binaries. I don't really use any software that takes advantage of SSE, so in most cases the performance gain of using my own compiled binaries is entirely negligible.

And in Debian you can fetch the source if you want to build something
tailored to your own requirements (as I often do with Apache, PHP and
Postgres.)

I basically have a simple equation I use: how much work do I need to
put in to using the tools that are supposed to work for me?  Sometimes
you can replace work with money: I've found Logic much more productive
than struggling with Ardour for example.

I'm aware that if I have problems with Ardour I can contribute and improve
the software, but I didn't have the time in this case (hence my example).

I always used Debian on my desktop at work too, but recently the northbridge
fan failed and the machine died. So I started using a powermac for
my work (no one was using it so I nabbed it). At first I didn't think the
environment would be as productive as my old X desktop with screen
and vim in a million x-terms, but now I find os x's interface much more
productive. No longer do I have to worry about upgrading my system,
or fixing things, everything just works! I can hack my code all day
long with no hassles.

And that's what they pay me to do, so...

--
homepage: http://alex.bash.sh/
music: http://noise.me.uk