Re: [microsound] Gentoo for MacOS

Hi Alex,

sorry, I had to reply... (let's not make this a flame, eh?)
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:04, Alex Young wrote:

> Practically all Linux distributions let you do this, and I think what
> you're
Definitely not! Install a redhat or suse and you end up with tons of
packages you never wanted and e.g. a xmms that supports gnome and kde,
although you use neither...

> What I find funny is that a lot of people go to all the trouble of
> building
> their software with Gentoo (which would take days on my system)
> for a performance gain then don't realise they're not even using the
> correct driver for their IDE devices, or they haven't set DMA on them
> - learning to build kernels suitable for the designated system can
> really help improve performance.
I totally agree with you (And my systems use customised kernels)
but the next step is rebuilding your system to have executables that
actually use the capabilities of your cpu like mmx,sse, altivec.

<technical rant>
don't tell me you still run an i386 or i486, but debian's debs still are
compiled with those in mind, IIRC, and I have never seen ppc-debs that
are altivec-enabled... not that gcc is very good at vectorising, but it's
a start, and let's wait for gcc-3.5
</technical rant>

Cheers,

Niklas