Re: [microsound] Re: affordable internet radio broadcasting?

hi

( 04.09.14 17:43 -0700 ) Dale Lloyd:
> I'm not really looking to start a real radio station, it would just be
> an active stream of a given playlist.

well, if you can host the files on a web server somewhere; you can write
a text file with the URLs in it, and if it gets sent with a MIME type of
audio/x-mpegurl, you should be good to go.

i can clarify if you have no idea what i'm talking about.

> Speaking of which, who hosts the streams that are on the first several
> microsound projects?

hyperreal.org [aka microsound.org]

this is accomplished with flash. so that's more involved [and expensive]
than using a text editor to list URLs. you do get the added benefit
[with flash] of not relying on a person's web browser being correctly
configured to handle the MIME type as you'd like.

> and hopefully at a higher bit rate as well.

yes, well that's up to you or whoever encoded the files. but transfer
over the network is filled with latencies. so, the higher bit rate may
end up not sounding as well since the stream may get interrupted while
waiting for the extra bits [providing extra fidelity] to arrive.

--