Re: [microsound] Dr. Max Matthews (was our first .microsound poll )

At 11:50 PM +0000 9/30/04, ian stewart wrote:

Cage met up with Schaeffer in Paris in '49, but I don't think he used any recorded sounds to make a piece until 1952

Williams Mix was created during 1952-53. Many of the sound sources were taken from sound effects records. The structure and process of the composition were based on chance operations. It was an eight channel piece, initially with eight mono tapes played on eight separate tape decks. Many of the source materials were manipulated according to basic musique concrete procedures, though most seem to be unaltered. The primary technical procedure in composing the tapes was splicing. Amplitude envelopes were created by using various lengths of diagonal splices. Many of the sound segments were quite short, so that some passages are certainly "micro" in their sonic structure.