Re: [microsound] [OT] Glut of new cds of just no money to spend?

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:19:37 +0100, Malte Steiner <steiner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One aspect not mentioned by our beloved music industry concerning the
> declining cd sales: with the invention of the cd format and the
> rereleases everybody inclusive me in the 80ies and later, bought the
> stuff again what we had already on vinyl. Thats why the cd sales were
> incredible high in the 80-90s and had to decline.

If the industry is worried about declining sales, it first needs to
recognize the ease by which music is proliferating these days, and I'm
not talking about illegal downloads, but rather people putting out
their own CDs and MP3s. People can find plenty to listen to already
without illegal downloads.  Secondly, the industry needs to put some
effort into making people more interested in audiophilia rather than
MP3--more showrooms and promotion, for example.  It should finally
make a decision on the new format, which will probably be SACD.  A
company like Sony, for instance, can readily produce incredible
recordings on SACD and then produce players that reach the midfi
market.  Once people start hearing SACD on a broader array of
recordings, they'll start throwing their MP3s in the trash and the
industry will start making money again, not that that's a particularly
happy thought, but it will certainly be better than prosecuting
grannies in California, whose granddaughters download music files on
their computers.