Re: [microsound] outsider artists

andrew benson;

> In visual arts, an outsider artist is just someone who
> didn't go to art school.  Therefore, anyone who was
> never formally trained in music would be deemed
> outsider musician....

That´s a nicely clear definition but I think it´s of little practical use to
us. To me "outsider" implies a element of non-conformity while I think many,
probably most, modern electronic music artists are completely untrained yet
highly conforming. Grooveboxes seem to be advertised as being both
accessible to untrained musicians and also capable of making you sound just
like currently popular styles.

Perhaps we should use "outsider" relative to some speciffic convention. For
example the use of a groovebox in experimental music may well be seen as a
"outsider" act while it wouldn´t be on a trance stage. To me the very word
"outside" implies there is some mentally fenced off area you can be outside
or inside of and I wonder wether we can still speak about people being
outside of music in general these days.

Yours,
Kas.