Re: [microsound] new autechre

not to beat a dead horse, but since the only other discussions seem to be richard devine beating a synth and what constitutes an announcement....

Why do people think that a quick listen in a music store could possibly be enough to know whether an album is tedious or even algorithmic? I thought this was a list about *listening* to music, not making super quick dismissive judgments...

I get the feeling that a lot of people simply don't like Autechre, and because Autechre make such starkly confrontational* (and self-indulgent) music, it's easier to just dismiss them as wankers than to actually understand what they are doing and then say "ah, not for me, but good for them" or however you want to react.

My own experience with Autechre's recent output is that it takes a lot of really deep listening to fully understand what's going on. Draft 7.30 took months to grow on me. Untilted grabbed me much more quickly and I'm still getting a lot out of it and listening to it at least a few times a week. They are self-indulgent and prone to beating an idea into the ground for 5 - 10 minutes instead of fitting these ideas into a more conventional or accessible song structure, but when I'm up for it, I find their music so rewarding (as a listener) that it's frustrating to see music I've found to require deep attention to fully appreciate dismissed so completely and quickly based on so little effort.

Anthony

*I mean confrontational in the sense of "we are making music we want to hear and there is no guarantee that you will find it easy to digest and enjoy" not in the "ooh, fuck! shit! bleaaargh! porn! violence!" sense.