[microsound] help realizing an idea

Foks,

I have no experience with computer music or programming, but I have an idea for a sound installation I want to make in my home. I want to give ears, voice, memory and mind to a room. I need a computer/software set-up to do the following:

1. record sounds for a variable length of time on a variable interval schedule (eg on an average of every ten minitues, an average of five minutes of sound is recorded.

2. continually monitor room sounds and search recorded sounds for matches that meet certain parameters (probably rough matches based on frequency/time).

3. play the matches as recorded or as manipluated by preset algorithms (e.g., that alter the recorded sound to fit a mood).

4. continue to record room sounds even as recorded soounds are played back. By changing certain parameters, I can use the setup in various ways: e.g., I can "play" with the room and create and modify feedback.

That's roughly it. I would appreciate any advice on how to do this. I would like to do this as cheaply and as simply as possible, but I am prepared to spend $, over time, and to spend lots of time learning how to program (I know nothing).

That's roughly it. I would appreciate any advice on hardware and software needed to do this or on places to look to educate myself.

Thanks!

Barry