[microsound] Re: MySpace/free-market response

Sorry, missed that.
Too bad too - a damn fine reply.
=]

As to the question of sucking in and of itself:
- All art is context driven, IMO.
Example.. most people would immediately categorize, say, Merzbow as
unlistenable crap, others can find something in it at times, others still
revel in streams of harsh noise. Same can be said of most things.  Rinse,
repeat.

As to the question of cream rise/crap sink
- Obviously a powerful entity can use its influence to manufacture consent,
to borrow from Chomsky. This happens daily in pop culture, to name just one of many scenarios where
this holds true. Example.. Big label owns massive chunks of content, manufacturing
capabilities, and distro nodes from the studio to the station to the
pressing plant, and leverages that vertical integration to give itself
unfair advantage in the marketplace. Its artists and content and entire
aesthetic are as a result inextricably imprinted onto a significant chunk,
even majority of the populace, however derivative and vapid, becoming
something the masses exalt to the exclusion of far more, uh, deserving and
interesting content/aesthetics. We all know what I'm talking about, nothing
remotely earthshattering here.

I consider this an 'un-natural' situation. Un-natural selection.
The normal mechanisms by which ideas are shared and propagate have been perverted.
Refer back to my other opinions in the thread.

As opposed to when individuals, even as a mob, have unfettered access to
literally ANY material there exists the possibility of those individuals
making their own decisions about what is worthy of their attention and
acclaim.   Word spreads, massive hyperlinking (real world and/or virtual)
happens, and the literally 'natural' process of memetic propagation, pretty
much a direct parallel of evolutionary processes, is allowed to take its
course -  A successful meme thrives and propagates.

Hope this helps. =]

~ !J!
http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com