Re: [microsound] microsound en espanol

Me too to some degree agree with the idea with an spanish microsound list, but I think there are complications. One of them is the isolation between the lists. Lot's of people speaks both english and spanish. Ideas and things discussed hopefully should interest regardless what language spoken.

Why not we just accept a spanish thread here and there? I think we already does that. I could even make a swedish thread here (my native language). But what is the point? I came to this list partly due to the fact that I understand english fairly well. Not to praise the english language, but it is a language that for me is a pretty good interface to a lot of different people (also who's native language are other than english).

But I'd still say write in what language you want. I think we all be surprised if we could see some statistics about this list members language knowledge (just a wild guess that there is a lot of different languages) But as we all came here to comunicate I think this should be done with openness and with respect to each other, also languagewise. That's why I hardly ever write in swedish here. A thread in swahili would probably be as interesting as any other thread here but probably many would not understand what was written, and the communiction not as effective as if it had been written in english (or spanish).

I am really sorry that I can't read or speak more spanish that I can but I don't think it will hurt my learning of spanish to also try to read some mail here and there.

If many here on the list think this can be of a problem to the list with too much spanish posts, then when a list member wants to express him/herself in spanish could just mark subjects with [ES] for spanish posts and those who don't want to have them in their mailbox filter them out.
Surely other languages could be "subject language stamped" too, but let these people speak up first so to see if there is a need.

For me personally I would prefer a "subject language stamping workaround" than a separate list, because I can grasp some spanish but really would like to learn more and I think the isolation of lists is not good. It is also more likely that interesting discussions can migrate from the spanish threads to english threads when we are at the same list. And vice verse.

As an sidenote to this it is interesting to note that US is the fifth biggest spanish speaking nation and that the five most common languages on Internet is english (295M), chinese (110M), spanish (72M), japanese (67M) and german (55M).

(Below is where I got that statistics. Think they are pretty trustworthy.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_in_the_United_States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_on_the_Internet

Hasta luego!
/Björn Eriksson