Re: [microsound] beware the decibel...

Agreed entirely - I saw a set a while back and my ears weren't done ringing
for a day and a half.  I loved the band and they played amazingly, but I
walked away feeling that it was incredibly unfair.  No one has the artistic
right to make me worry about my hearing *two days* down the line.  But I did
learn to bring earplugs to any shows I attend after that, just in case.

Also, for microsound-related events, my experience has been that I love
hearing the detail in the work, and my ability to experience this detail
decreases after a certain threshold in volume - let's not forget this!

Thanks for the reminder, Randal.

On that note, I agree that volume is a political and artistic consideration
and a necessity in some contexts - but to an extent, volume is relative...
spending all day in a quiet room and then stepping outside to a busy street
makes the street seem much louder!

I was disgusted to read about Akiyama's performance; to me it seems the
ultimate in self-indulgence to potentially cause harm to your audience who
have traveled to see you and not be able to take it yourself.

As for physical violence in conceptual/performance art, at least it was
Chris Burden himself getting shot in the gallery and not a visitor.

Kevin