Re: [microsound] I want myspace MTV

Hallo,
Kim Cascone hat gesagt: // Kim Cascone wrote:

> final: most of us have had enough of the one liner updates containing
> the myspace account info...yes, you're cool for having a myspace
> account - now let's talk about something more interesting? suggestions:
>
> - what is the cultural/aesthetic intersection of 'places' like
> myspace with 'spaces' like microsound?
> - and is the 'enabling' power of social networks real or is it simply
> another sort of commodity sold to us through viral advertising?

The problem I have with myspace specifically is that it is trying to
(and apparently succeding in large amounts to) monopolize what is
called "social networks". A similar thing happened in the past with
ebay: Without selling anything themselves, they managed to get a firm
grasp on grassroots markets, that is, the market, where everyone
without a big budget could sell something. Today, if ebay throws you
out, you're out of business.

A similar thing is happening to social networks currently. Now we
still have several providers of these services, like friendster etc.
and there is a *huge* interest or even fight for them involving the
big players like Yahoo or Google.

But as with ebay, only the biggest one will survive and concentrate *a
lot* of power in his hands, this time not power over sellers of second
hand goods, but over the ways, artists try to get famous, amongst
other things. Imagine two years from now, myspace being the sole
"social network" provider left. If myspace throws you out, you're out
not only of myspace, but you're out of the whole myspace community and
nobody there will show interest in your music anymore, because they
don't know it exists.

Myspace is like moving houses into a country where the public doesn't
have any control over the legislation anymore. I know this is a a very
bleak view into the future, and I hope it won't come this far, but
myspace is not my space, it is not your space, it is "their" space
alone.

The "real myspace" is somewhere else, somewhere, where "they" don't
make the rules. Maybe it's in The Pirate Bay.

Ciao