Re: [microsound] Re: livecoding

On 7/7/06, aleks vasic <bvasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Your average Joe is going
to have a harder time following a live performance by an electronic
artist who sits behind the screen of his laptop multitasking between
software, twiddles knobs on various controllers, effect peddles/decks,
blah blah blah.  A live electronic show(for lack of a better
description) alienates the audience much more then a traditional DJ
does.

I've only caught the tail-end of this conversation so apologies if this isn't related...

I've only ever put a few nights on myself but have a number of friends
who put regular nights on (not usually microsound but electronic music
of various degrees) in a few different cities and we try to get a lot
of feedback on what people like. From the geeks to the people who just
*like* the music to the f^%k heads they are all pretty united on what
they don't like - someone just stood there staring into the screen of
their laptop. However, we've found that people really like it when
someone has a lot of kit. They certainly don't know what all those
little boxes are doing but they love to watch someone interacting with
all the flashing lights. People with lots of gear are always the most
popular and well-received. They certainly don't find it alienating.