Re: [microsound] an interesting monolake answer

 My main issue with the visual representation of sound in Sequencers is
the loss of the vertical dimension.

The concept of layering tracks horizontally one after the other has, in my
opinion,
greatly narrowed the creative thinking in assembling musical sounds.

This is reflected in most of the mainstream music we hear nowdays.
In traditional music notation the vertical and the horizontal dimentions
have equal value. This balance is one of the great conceptual forces that
shaped Western music from, from Monteverdi to Stockhausen.

symphony
is extremely different than laying out .WAV or .AIFF files and MIDI tracks.

In my own everyday experience of working with both media, I find the
difference in musicl thinking to be vast.

edr