Re: [microsound] renoise

I'm a nerd, that's why! Fruity Loops is the only program that knows how to interface with the Buzz Machines and the Buzz Machine library is HUGE!! After years of using them I feel slightly attached.

But renoise....
It is a very genuine tracker interface. 10 years ago I started writing music on the computer. Being poor I had no access to hardware besides the computer. I found trackers and, true, it took me a while to get used to but I think at that age anything would have taken me a while to get used to. I enjoy the interface. Every time I open a new music app the first thing I look for is the sequencer and if it only has a piano roll I shut it down. My brain just doesn't enjoy them. The tracker grid is just more accessible to me mind. I look at the screen and see note names and when you program the pattern your keyboard has two octaves of musical keyboard (the octaves adjusted by a keystroke).

I've been mostly a chip musician for about a year now writing tunes for the NES using Famitracker. But before JSR started developing that tracker there was only MCK/MLL - a macro language music constructor YAY TEXTPAD!! \o/

I'm not afraid to use a mouse -- I like having my multiple windows.

I am sure there is a way to do slight pitch bends and simple effects like tremolo/vibrato, things like that in those fancy modern apps but I really like the control and expressions you can get when you know how to use them. Maybe if I had started with the new school I wouldn't find IT unintuitive.

Here is one of my latest tracks available on the Badlands compilation at http://iimusic.net --

http://b-knox.com/iimusic/Drunken%20Chamber.mp3

hahahhaa -- I joined this list because I thought it was gonna be chipmusic related. Microsound and Micromsusic sound so close! But it's the practice of rhetoric that keeps me reading. =D

-Langel

Graham Miller wrote:
then why use buzz at all?

what's the advantage? why do you like it?