Re: [microsound] funny post on Linux audio

Hallo,
craquemattic hat gesagt: // craquemattic wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >But tell a person who only knows how to do word processing to record a
> >session with ProTools. He'll freak out, of course, and will have to
> >read up on a lot of stuff. That's perfectly normal. Give a person used
> >to Britney a .microsound CD. He'll probably think his CD player is
> >broken. Is that funny?
>
> Immensely!

Puh, then I'm glad, really ;) I refrained from making the same joke
with an iPod instead to not step on iPod lover's toes. I know,
everyone hates CDs, so that is save ground.

> Well I was only reacting to Kim's post, certainly didn't expect
> backlash from laughing an innocent joke.

I didn't intend to backlash, sorry. I am just a bit tired of complains
about or making fun of problems in Linux in a way as the blog author
did it. To that I did react with my <yawn>: I already knew this joke
from countless slashdot discussions.

To me ears some of these complains have an underlying offensive tone
such as: "Hey, you Linux zealots always tell us how great Linux is,
and everyone must use Linux. But your system can't even play MP3, take
that!"

<yawn> ;)

The strength of Linux IMO is not that it would be a better operating
system than Windows or OS-X or one without problems. (In some ways it
is better, in others it's not.) To me, the strength of Linux and Free
software is, that it allows people to fix problems on their own
instead of depending on a multimillion dollar company to fix it. This
includes the freedom to tinker with and also to break the system
without a multimillion dollar company telling you, that this is not
allowed.

But with the freedom to look under the hood also comes a
responsibility, for example to read the manual before complaining
about bugs, and to be friendly and fair when asking for help and all
that.

Ciao