Re: [microsound] iTunes just ate a bunch of my unreleased music

Hi,

You may need to lookup FairPlay DRM, is what Apple uses. The problem seems to happen when iTunes is launched, it parses its database looking for new or changed files. If for example you have copied some DRM'd files from one machine to another and they are not authorized several odd things can happen; for some reason .aif(f) or .wav files can get unlinked in this process. I have not had the deletion problem, but I do think it's possible.

I also like the 'cog' app, it's simple and handles many more file formats.

Cheers,
Marc

Jared Friend wrote:
I would love to see some documentation on a "DRM filter" in Itunes. I've
never heard of anything like that, and a quick google search doesn't bring
up anything.

I've never had any problems with the very large number of AIFF and WAV files
I have. Chances are (in my experience) it's actually the Itunes file
management settings...  I've had a number of acquantances complain that
stuff in Itunes goes missing (files or links), and the cause was generally
how their files were organized and how that conflicted with the settings
they had chosen in Itunes.

I'm curious about the DRM filter though, because I know about the DRM that
is present on Itunes purchased tracks, but I didn't think there were any
consequences to having non-DRM files in your Itunes library (and my very
large library of non-Itunes purchased tracks has never suffered any losses
that I've noticed as a result of something like this).

Jared

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 6:37 PM, "marc_mcnulty (mærðnír)" <